Sunday, September 18, 2011

Can this be real?

It feels like a lifetime ago since I last blogged.  Things have definitely picked up for me. Each week I am taking more and more over. This week: math. I feel like I am pretty prepared for this subject. It was one of my favorites all through school. The week after that is guided reading and thematic work. Beginning the first full week in October I begin my full take over. I will be doing everything from morning sheets and bathroom breaks to thematic units and recess duty.  Last week my mentor teacher threw a curve ball at me she says, 'Miss Higgins, did you realize that next Friday is your halfway mark for your student teaching?' My response, 'No, no I didn't.' I have just begun realizing that I am actually student teaching and now its almost half way over! When did that happen? Can this be real? Am I just dreaming? Why does time have to go so fast? I think it might take a lifetime to figure that question out.

The 5th week of school was pretty normal for a change. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. One story that I do have actually is something that  happened to me.  I was on my way back from the copy room and had just walked into the classroom. My mentor teacher looks up and says 'Wow, look at you! It looks like your confidence is growing.'  :) It brought a smile to my face. Apparently just the way I was walking showed that I was confident in what I was doing.  I didn't realized it showed.  :)  I am feeling more confident as I go about classroom and the school building.  I am on good terms with a lot of the teachers, my ideas are being heard, teaching is going well. I couldn't have asked for anything better. 

Important things that have happened lately include the taking of the APT test (Assessment of Professional Teaching) and my first seminar on campus. The APT test occurred Sept. 10. We were given 5 hours to complete 120 questions and 2 constructed response questions. I think I did good on it, but I will find out on Oct 7 (as that is when the official scores are posted) for sure. So fingers crossed and lets hope for the best! I am at least glad that I was able to de-stress with a best friend because we rode down together and back. It was nice having somebody to talk to.  As for my first seminar, we had meetings on classroom management, how to interview, how to incorporate theater into the classroom, and most importantly what we have to do for our new and should I mention *not finalized* assessment.  Overall, the seminar wasn't that bad, a little boring in parts, entertaining in others but it was a good experience with lots of valuable information.  The instructions for our assessment is 30 pages long. It seems daunting right now, but I think once I get to working on it, it won't be so bad.  A happy thing also occurred this weekend because I got to see my boyfriend and numerous other friends while at campus. It was a delight to actually get to see them again after being away for so long.  It brought back memories from the past couple of years. Sometimes it actually felt strange being on campus again like things have been changing around you, but you didn't realize it. There are so many improvement projects going on that parts of campus seemed new to me because I didn't know what was being built or done. I guess that is a part of growing. Things change and there is nothing I can really do about it.

As for this week, I am starting several new things in the classroom. First of all I created name sticks so I can use them to call on students so everybody will have a chance to answer and not just ones that raise their hands all the time. The second thing that is new this week is a daily target chart.  I will be putting up two behavior targets like 'I will stand quietly in line' and ' I will wait for my name to be called before I answer.' My mentor and I feel like the students are having a hard time figuring out when they can talk and when they shouldn't like getting ready for specials, during stories, and so forth.  I will also be putting up one learning target such as ' Name the 4 parts of a tree' also.  The third new thing is a new seating arrangement! :) I get to rearrange the desks tomorrow morning.  I am also working on two bulletin boards for the near future. One will be up in about a week and then the other one towards the middle of October.  Our themes are apples/trees and pumpkins for the latter one. I have several ideas now, but any suggestions would be wonderful! :)

As I am working on bulletin board ideas, one that came up during my research was 'Fall'ing in love with school.  It made think about why I love school and I am sure my reasons are different than what the students would say. So until next time, think about why you love your job may it be teaching, a cubicle position, working in the great outdoors or working in a library. Is it because of the people you work with? The fabulous location? What you do for a living? So many people don't have the luxury to find a job that they love, but its more of a 'I have to work to provide for my family.' Maybe another thing we take for granted? Could be, but I don't know.  So what are your reasons? I know mine!

Miss Higgins, the Inspirer

I love school because I can inspire students to be anything they want to be when they grow older.






No comments:

Post a Comment