Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Meetings

One thing that always seems to be 'failed to mention' is that there is an extraordinary amount of meetings that goes on behind the scenes at school. There are regular meeting for training such as with the online program for recoding data, ELL training, and so forth. But there are also meetings for behavior of the students, meeting to make sure that students are making progress, and meeting on where the students are at right now.  Oh and don't forget about the fire drills and tornado drills. Today was a day of meetings for me.  It started off with one in the morning (before school started), a fire drill in mid-morning (and yes you do have to walk quickly when leaving the building), a surprise meeting with my supervisor in mid afternoon (plan for the unexpected!), and a training meeting after school today. Needless to say it was crazy and hectic at times, but everybody made it safely to the end of the day.  My mentor teacher did tell me today that she thought that my teacher voice was developing quite nicely since the beginning of the school year. :) My supervisor (when he met with me) also said that he has already heard many positive things about me. So I am going to take it all in stride mix the good with the bad and hopefully things will come out on top.

One bad thing that happened to me happened to me while my cooperating teacher was meeting with my supervisor. I would like to go into more detail, but to protect the confidentiality of the students, I will just say:  Classroom management is a must. If students see a frightened teacher, then they too will become frightened. I am glad that in the end everything was worked out. I am also glad that I had this experience today that I did, so I can better handle it in the future.

At the end of the day, I think it was a good day. There might have been some minor knots in the course of the day, but the students did a good job overall. We can't let little incidents ruin our days.

Until next post, remember to raise your hand when wanting to ask a question. Teachers are not animals and therefore do not respond to shouts of Teacher! Teacher!

Miss Higgins

No comments:

Post a Comment