Sunday, August 28, 2011

start of the 3rd week

Wow, after the first week things really kicked up a bit in the classroom.  As the second week came to a close I realized one thing: its time to be mean. For those who know me, I am not really a mean person am I? But I understand the meaning of don't smile until December now. The second week of schools seemed to be the testing week of the teachers. The students wanted to see just how far they could stretch the rules/ break them without getting in trouble or seeing how much trouble they could get in. Yikes! I even made a girl cry this week because I had to take a punch from her punch card because she was misbehaving in the bathroom. (and no, sinks are not there so you can splash your friends with water). I even had to deal with my first hands-on incident with two first graders. If you are wondering what the punch card is, I'll explain it to you. Each student has a card with ten apples (objects are based on the month). Five are for the morning and five for the afternoon. There is also 1 apple on the side for homework (when they start having homework to do).  Each classroom has expectations with the students as to their behaviors in the classroom, in line, and in the hallway. Each time an expectation is not met, then the student gets a punch out of their punch card. We monitor the behaviors of the students with these cards.  We write what the 'punch' was for and the student has to take the card home and get it signed. This allows the parents to know what behavior their child is exhibiting at school.  We typically give a couple warnings before we issue a punch, but this past week, our 'punchers' have gotten their workout. The students want to find out exactly how loud they can be, how long they can not pay attention/ follow directions, or if they can be mean to their classmates with teachers knowing.  I am hoping this next week will be good. 

On a bright side, I am now in charge of morning routines/ morning sheet, story times, calendar math, handwriting, and transition times like bathroom break and specials. I get to take over spelling next week. I am helping with it this week though. This past week we cover the -at word family. This week we are doing -ate, and the week after is -et. Also, on a brighter note, the students have given me many more hugs. This past Wednesday I received 4! :)  There hasn't been one time so far where I have wished that I was in a different profession. Kids are just spectacular! I was at the library on Saturday working when a little girl came in with her mom. The girl proclaimed "Mommy, I know her!" as she points a finger in my direction. The mom asked how so and the girl responded that she saw me in the hallway when I take my class for bathroom breaks because her classroom is in the same pod as mine. :) It made my day hearing that because sometimes I felt that I was only known in my classroom, I guess not though.

My favorite incident for this blog happens to come from a drawing that a little boy drew in my class. On the back a paper that he turned in were numerous hearts with peace signs in the middle of them. Upon seeing this drawing, I smiled.  It was just the day before that I wore my favorite earrings to school: hearts with peace signs in the middle. :) I am glad this student is observant. I hope he keeps paying attention to details! I showed this to my mentor teacher and pointed out the earrings (that I was once again wearing). She laughed and said it looks like you got a fan! Oh little kids can surprise me in so many ways. 

Until next time, reread your stories so you can read them better!
Miss Higgins

No comments:

Post a Comment